Over the weekend I decided to make Minced Chicken puffs using the Puff pastry from Kawan. I never thought I would be able to make the puffs that exactly looked like and tasted like store bought puffs. Puffs has been my all time favorite snack since childhood. I tried making the Minced chicken puffs and I must say it wasn’t hard at all. The puff pastry was super easy to use and tasted delicious.
I started off by cooking the minced chicken and then set it aside to cool. The pastry puffs need to be thawed at least for 30 minutes to get to room temperature, if not they will break when you fold them. I made a total of 10 puffs from the sheets that were available.
Ingredients for the filling:
- 250 gms of Chicken mince (you may use mutton or beef as well)
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 1 green chilly finely chopped(you may use chilly powder too)
- 1tbsp ginger garlic paste
- 1/4 tbsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp garam masala powder
- 2 tsps pepper powder
- 1/2 tsp cumin powder
- Some chopped coriander to garnish
- Salt as per taste
1. Wash the mince well and keep it in a colander to drain the excess water.
2. Heat oil in a pan and add the chopped onion, fry till they turn pink and brown. Add the ginger garlic paste and fry well till the raw smell disappears. Then add the green chilly and sauté.
3. Add the turmeric powder, cumin powder, garam masala powder, pepper powder and sauté well. Then add the minced chicken. This will leave some stock hence no need to add water. Add salt as per taste. If the green chilly is not spicy as per your taste, you may add some chilly powder as well or add more green chillies according to your taste.
4. Fry the minced meat on high flame to make it dry by stirring regularly. Garnish with some freshly chopped coriander and let it aside to cool.
Preparing the puffs:
For the egg wash:
1 egg beaten well
1 tbsp water( you may add milk as well)
1. Keep the puff pastry sheets to come to room temperature for at least 30 minutes. You may use baking paper on the tray with some oil or butter on it. Place the sheets on the baking tray.
2. Fill the centre of the sheets with the minced meat and seal it using water on the edges. This will hold the puff in place. You may use a fork to seal too.
3.Pre-heat the oven to 180 degree celsius. Meanwhile apply the egg wash on the puffs.
4. Bake the puffs for 22-25 minutes on 180 degree celsius.
5. Once the puffs have baked to the desired color, you may transfer these to the baking tray and let it cool for at least few minutes as they turn more crispy when they cool.
I would love to hear from you if you have tried this recipe 🙂